
So, meringues it is. Home early from work, I quickly put together dinner (charred some tomatoes in a hot skillet; chopped them; tossed them with red onion slices, chopped rosemary, coarse salt, and a bit of olive oil; let it sit while cooking pasta; tossed the pasta and uncooked sauce together with a bit of feta; served with a salad), then set to work on making meringue cookies while waiting for Conrad to come home.
The recipe comes from an Emily Luchetti cookbook, Stars Desserts. It's one of the bibles in my kitchen. I searched high and low for it in hardcover, and I'm using it enough to have to take it for rebinding one day, I think. The chocolate meringue cookie recipe is a simple one requiring exactly the 6 egg whites I had on hand. So, cookies it was - rather than the cake I thought I might do - and a batch of imperfect but delicious chocolatey blobs sit on my counter. I hope the humidity lately will not affect them adversely, else Conrad will be taking in to work tomorrow a collection of tasty chocolatey crumbs that resemble this:

I don't care to discuss the Valentine's Day Meringue Massacre, however. Read for yourself.
Should I pack tonight, I wonder?
16 comments:
The meringues look great and Emily Luchetti rocked at Stars.
Never tried Stars, but I'm hoping to get to Farallon in October!
And thanks for the vote of confidence. Conrad has already voted with his appetite!
:-)
Stars has gone off to restaurant heaven I fear. I know it was bought by someone about five years ago, buit the actual building it was in is gone and they may have reopened somewhere else, but IMHO; without Jeremiah, it really isn't Stars.
If I can be so bold as to suggest your October itinerary, save your dining dollars re: Farallon. By all means GO to Farallon and have drinks before dinner and gawk in wonder at the fantastic decor, but then go somewhere else for an actual meal. Farallon has been around for a while and they are phoning in the food according to my spies.
Have you ever been to Chez Panisse in Berkeley? I can't say enough about the place. If you can get a rez I suggest you go with this caveat; dinner downstairs is totally at the whim of Alice Waters and people who have food issues are shit-out-of-luck.
Upstairs, the Cafe has a menu and is less pricy, but everyone owes it to themselves to give Alice Waters control over their dinner at least once in life.
I might also suggest you go to The Zuni Cafe while you're there, it has been in business for over 20 years now and Judy Rogers is a legend. The Zuni has a special place in my heart and I've NEVER had a bad experience from the food or the service in the literally hundreds of times I've eaten there. I had a duck liver, potato and rosemary omelette there for brunch in the 80's that is like Proust's madelines for me.
I've enjoyed Chez Panisse Cafe once in my life, and I have no qualms about handing myself over to Alice Waters of all people! I've forwarded your comments to Conrad; the dinner is the extension of his birthday, so I'll leave it up to him, but we'll take your advice on Farallon seriously.
Cheers!
While you're in Nawlins, consider waiting for a table at Jacques-Imo Cafe 8324 Oak St. (Uptown)504-861-0886 the wait can be considerable but well worth it. Reservations are a must for parties over five.
"consider waiting for a table at Jacques-Imo Cafe 8324 Oak St. (Uptown)504-861-0886 the wait can be considerable" WTF?!!
Oh God, I need an editor sooooooo bad. I write like a pre-teen.
I thought those looked like chocolate meringues...mmm!
Packing, oh yeah, off he goes again! :)
Steven, you'll see that mediocre tourist fare was the order of the night. But don't mind me: I still await my suitcase. I know the flight landed; we'll see if it reaches the hotel!
I believe they were good - I ate a couple, and they were fairly decent. The chocolate chips in them sink to bottom and make it all nice and chewy. Conrad took them in to work today and reported later that they were demolished quickly.
Suck some head? This really isn't THAT sort of blog!
Oh Brenda, it's just one more month with travel, and then at home for several weeks!
OMG, you go on a short trip and check luggage? Are you mad? My sympathies on the luggage screw-up, but you Sir, are in need of a nice Tumi carry on like the Captains and the Stews use. Forward this to Conrad and tell him no more treats until you get one.
I've long been a heavy packer, I admit. On the other hand, I have a lot of changes of clothes to allow for the heat and the drenching sweat that results. I'm about to shower and start on dry outfit #2 for the day!
The humidity is opressive, but if you show a lot of skin you'll get beads!
Steven, showing a lot of skin is not good advice for the fair of skin and flabby of torso!
LOL
Oh pooh, I just looked at a picture of myself from Brooklyn and the unfortunate angle of my neck makes me look like I'm wearing a giant ring bologna around my neck. Talk about flab!
But Steven, in this crowd it would be kind of appealing to see a giant bologna ring worn as neck accessory!
:-P
Post a Comment