Monday, June 19, 2006

Järvzoo


Yes, I know: how many more of these bloody posts will Peter do, for goodness sake? That's what you're thinking. And you're right, it wasn't that long of a trip. So only a few more to go. Bear with me. And enjoy the photo of the totally adorable 4-week old moose.

Back in 2002 we drove up to Järvsö with Kersti to visit the town's main attraction, the Järvzoo. I love that there is something of a pun in that name, all the more so in a way when you know that "järv" is the Swedish word for "wolverine". (No, Jeph, no Hugh Jackman sightings). It was a lovely day - sunny, in fact, though quite cold. I underdressed for the jaunt and found myself at the midpoint of the walk through the zoo having to take my thin gloves off my hands and put them on my feet for a bit more warmth. It didn't work, mind you, and I then had to take off my socks and shoes in the car and sit on my feet on the drive home in hopes that my enormous butt would warm my feet up. Don't I look cold in the little shelter at the rest area near the top?



The zoo, however, is a terrific attraction. Oh, I know, I admit that I love touristy things sometimes. But this is better than that. What they've gone and done just outside Järvsö is build a zoo that highlights only Nordic animals (so no giraffes struggling with the Swedish weather) and that houses them in large pens of somewhat natural habitat on the slopes of a mountain valley. As if that weren't enough, to view the animals, you walk a 3 km boardwalk up the valley and back down again, meandering some in places. It's a wide boardwalk, handsomely designed to allow for the occasional tree that bumps up against it. The result is that even if you see no animals, you've just had a pleasant walk in the woods.



Ah, but we did see animals, such as that sweet little moose. Ahhhh, so cute. And seemingly friendly. It shared space in a children's zoo area with a calf (baby cow, that is), and some kid goats. Apparently the little moose had been found abandoned in the wild at 2 weeks of age.

We did not see the wolves, the red fox, the lynx, wolverine, or hedgehog. They can be tough to spot in amongst the summer foliage. Moreover, it was a warm day, sunny, so some animals were doubtless taking cover. But there were a number of others.


A number of handsome owls including this Arctic owl and his mate.


This molting musk ox, along with her (also utterly) adorable (little bundle of fuzz) spawn.


Reindeer! You may be happy to know that we ate no reindeer on this trip, by the way!

All in all, an enjoyable day. I should add that it started with lunch at a place across the Ljusnan river from town, affording us views of the fine old church. The day ended at the community hall in Långhed with a meal and a World Cup match to watch. Good times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter, you take great animal pics!

Peter said...

I'd love to take credit, but it's Conrad who does the good ones.

Peter said...

I was sooo bloody cold that day in 2002 in the doorway photo!

As for cuteness, don't Conrad and I keep that quotient high enough? I should post a photo (if there's a good one), of the little bundle of fluff that was a baby musk-ox!