Sunday, June 18, 2006

one more post-vacation post for the night and then I turn into a pumpkin...

...and let's use it to post a few more food photos. It really wouldn't be a Conrad/Peter vacation without such photos. So:



Me with the salmon cakes mentioned in the previous post.



Conrad at the same Hudiksvall restaurant, enjoying fried herring with mashed potato. Conrad, I will add, loves the herring muchly, especially pickled. I think I should ask Yoshi to prepare it for Conrad's 50th birthday dinner!

Next up, my Toast Pelle Jansson appetizer at Prinsen in Stockholm:



Tasty. You'll notice a fish/fish egg theme in the food photos (though the red stuff on the toast plate was thin slices of raw beef). The Toast came with whitebait roe, and the salmon in the next photo also came with roe. Meanwhile, the sour cream-y sauce for the salmon cakes was dotted with more tiny eggs. Ahhhh, fish eggs. They make a fish egg paste and put it in toothpaste style tubes. It is frickin' good with boiled eggs, I swear. I had that for breakfast almost every day in Sweden!



One last shot before I work my way bedward, not the best shot, but oh well. Conrad, recall, likes his herring. This was his pickled herring appetizer at Prinsen: five types with accompaniments. The lemon herring was truly delightful!

Night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pickled herring is absolutely wonderful! I acquired a liking for it as a child, when my Dutch mother brought it home for lunch, especially when my grandmother was visiting from the Netherlands.

Peter said...

Nah, not at all intimidating, I promise. Come visit us in Chicago, and we'll ply you with the herring!

I have long loved fish. The fish eggs are a more recent thing. Yes, definitely salty - that's the point!

And the boiled potatoes were a frequent side dish, I admit. I bought some small ones yesterday so I could make us a simple dinner with some pickled herring tonight after practice.