Saturday, June 17, 2006

sweden: flowers



Midsummer flower.

Jeph and Steven, this is a challenge geared mostly for you two since you both have such passionate interests in gardening: some photos of the wildflowers blooming in the countryside. We enjoyed marvellous weather in Sweden, and the roadsides and fields were full of many small flowers. These are the ones that people gather for the midsummer celebrations; in fact, this morning there was a big bunch of the small yellow ones shown in this entry gracing a vase on the dining table.



We took a lot of photos of the flowers (and I can almost hear Francis roll his eyes and say, "GAY!") while over here. Why not? I recognize some from northern BC as well, mind you, though we don't call them by the Swedish names, of course. I'm not adding in the Swedish names with the photos here either - I can't even recall them, just some of the translations.

So, some flower shots with a challenge to the gardeners reading this to provide the North American names!



From our little sidetrek down a road to a village called Mössön.



On our drive to Hudiksvall, the one cloudy half day we had!



I think these escaped from a garden nearby.



Butter flowers, as they call them in Sweden.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother, who's Dutch, calls them a similar name - buttercups.

Peter said...

Which is what we called them back home in BC as well.

But that's the easy one. What about the others?

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the cream-coloured flowers are arctic cinquefoil...

Anonymous said...

the blue spiky ones are lupine-hard to grow in chicago,they are a favorite dinner for slugs- but they grow like dandelions in maine...

Peter said...

The Swedes have the same spelling we do: lupin, but they pronounce it ever so slightly differently!

Anonymous said...

Actually I didn't roll my eyes. I did however classify the flowers as purple(ish), red(dish), white and yellow(ish).

./fxk

Peter said...

Ever the botanist FXK, well done!

LOL