
Yes, first. First of four, to be precise - tonight was the fourth, and good it was. Alas, the sardines are not on the menu anymore, but they were mighty good while they lasted!
I'm still playing catch-up from the weekend. Conrad's mother is with us for this weekend, Conrad is readying himself to swim Big Shoulders in the morning, and I'm baking some candied ginger and dried apricot scones for his Mom to enjoy.
So, back we go to last Sunday and dinner with Allison and Sean. By Sunday night they'd moved to the Fairmont, but they were looking forward to dinner at Yoshi's, having heard us talk up the place so much. And I have to say, as a meal it was hitting a number of my favourite things.
Appetizer: fried sardines. Even the bones were crispy. Served with fried parsley and fried olives, a little mound of sea salt, and some lemon. Hot and not greasy, just yummy.
Main meal: roasted, boned double cut pork chop. Served sliced atop a guajillo chile sauce and alongside mashed sweet potato and a poblano relleno, tempura-style. Pork and chile relleno both? Pinch me!
Dessert: a fresh fig tartlet in a chocolate pastry shell, served warm with a simple vanilla ice cream melting on it. Lovely.
To drink: I stuck with wine. A Sauvignon Blanc to start with, then the four of us shared two bottles of a King Estate Pinot Noir. I ended with a glass of Zinfandel after dinner. I will admit, I was always a dreadfully inexpensive drunk, and seven weeks off worsened that. I was out cold ten minutes after getting home. Whoa!
I can't even remember really well what the others have save that Sean had a steak and Allison also had the fig tart. A really enjoyable, luxurious evening at the bar, chatting with our various friends. Who knew I'd be back so much this past week, switching to the grilled radicchio slad with goat cheese and pine nuts most nights. I had that again tonight, and enjoyed the mussels for my dinner along with a glass of the Riesling.
Photos:
Sardines
Oh yeah, Conrad had the smoked salmon and endive salad!
Michael and Laura were there.
More Laura.
And more, this time with Yoshi.
Me and Rakhael - her husband Gil was taking other photos.
With Allison and Sean, once again.
No comments:
Post a Comment