
If you ignore the anonymous butt in the photo and look a little more closely, to the left you will see a board on which there is a chunk of orange cheese (Mimolette, nicely aged, superlatetively yummy) and some broken wedges. Ah, my friends, it is those broken wedges I was in pursuit of tonight!
The recipe is called Italian Shortbread with Almonds, Brandy, and Lemon (Fregolata). I love saying that word, but I live in fear that someone like Steven - who knows his Italy and things Italian - will somehow disabuse me of the notion that this is a genuine Italian treat. No matter. It's becoming a standby, a rich cookie to serve in a delightfully haphazard manner. The recipe, by the way, is one from a Pasta & Co. cookbook I gave my Mum several years back. I think it pairs well with the cheese, and on a board with a scattering of pomegranate seeds, accompanied by a dessert wine (a Round Barn black walnut, perhaps?), it makes for a fine cap to an evening. Or something fun to put out at a party, as we did in the photo above. The shot is one from the Allison and Sean party.
Wednesday night is a Project Runway night, of course, and I paid bills and wrote a few cards. And through much of that, I had this big disk of cookie in the oven. When it cools, I'll cut it up and put it in a tin. I think Conrad's office will be getting a treat tomorrow!
3 comments:
Fregolata...has a nice ring to it!
Thanks Brenda! It's tasty, too. Though this time I made it entirely in the mixer instead of using the food processor as the recipe recommends - I have only a small processor, unfortunately. It turned out more crumbly this time, but so far so good.
Jeph, I did sprinkle raw sugar on top, per the recipe. I also kept it all - it will keep well in a tin to share next week in parcels, but we're having a friend over for dinner tomorrow night, and Conrad reasonably suggested that this plus some cheese could make for a nice final course without much hassle tomorrow!
It all looks and sounds yummy! I'm encouraged that someone else likes *saying* delicious ethnic cuisine, too - heh heh. I like saying (and devoring, of course) the custard-filled Greek pastry galatobouriko.
Post a Comment