
No, it's not really authentic. I made it with ground chicken breast (rather than beef, as I'd first known it, or with turkey as the recipe suggests). I have no doubt that there are many other versions, and that the proper way to serve it is with plaintains or stuffed into chiles. Sorry. It's a reliable little recipe from the book Latin American Cooking across the USA.
But for a Monday night dinner when I have time enough to do my mise en place before swim practice and then cook afterwards, it was satisfying. I tinkered with it some, adding slivered almonds. I also might have added some allspice or something to bring out more sweetness without adding sugar. Just the same, though, it made for a good, light meal. Better still, I have leftovers for a few days of lunches!
3 comments:
More or less plain rice - cooked in chicken broth. I confess, I'm an indifferent cook when it comes to rice, so it's seldom as toothsome, fluffy, and separated into individual grains as it should be.
And now I'm a little ashamed.
:-P
Picadillo looks weird to me with greens on the plate!
I've adapted my mother's recipe over the years. Her "low-fat" version instructs "skim the congealed fat off the top"! I use lean ground turkey instead of beef. It works great, as long as you take the time to brown it completely before putting it in the big pot. I've enver tried it with chicken.
Green olives - especially, pimento-stuffed - and raisins are traditional additions. You get kind of a sweet and salty contrast, as well as contrast in texture. Black beans and rice were the traditional side dishes. Cumin is the important spice.
And picadillo is always best the next day.
Xris, thanks for making your way over here!
You have to excuse the side salad - it was a quick side to do given the Monday night time constraints. Beans would have been great, I agree!
Post a Comment