Thursday, September 28, 2006

two meals out


A third night without Conrad - he's still in Richmond, due back tomorrow morning. Ah well, it gives me a chance to laze about guiltfree. Funny how the baking instinct hasn't kicked into overdrive in the meantime!

I've recently been enjoying some meals out for a promotion through San Pellegrino whereby proceeds go to fight hunger. Yes, I know, just donate to a food bank. But then I don't get to go to restaurants. Selfish, but with a conscience, that's me, I guess.

Tuesday lunch was in Old Town at Bistro Margot.

Things I liked:
  1. The curry carrot soup was rather tasty
  2. The nut tart was decent - not overly sweet

Things I was not wowed by:
  1. Where the heck was everyone? Why so empty? Makes me wonder.
  2. The croque monsieur. Okay, it was on brioche, but it came across as sadly chasing a bigger is better ideal. Not really. Kind of a waste of food, all those fries. Not bad tasting, but I think the quiche may have been a more sensible choice.
  3. The waitress. Sorry. I don't think it was schtick to get tips, I don't think her approach is anything but well-meaning and sincere. But I tell you, it was a little much: unctuously musical voice with constant comments. "Oooh, yummy!" and that sort of thing in response to everything we ordered. A little scary. Reminded us unpleasantly of a former colleague, but I shan't name names here.


Also, to be honest, it was kind of a slow lunch, too slow. I'm whining now. Sorry. I loved catching up with CG and Melissa, but between the length of the lunch and the commute there and back, it was basically three hours. A little much for such a mixed experience. I may go back, but I'm not sure.

Last night was far better.
Arek, Heather,CG, and I dined at Boka. I go by the place almost every day on the bus, so it was nice to go in.

Things I liked:
  1. Good salmon. Well prepared, attractively plated, and I was sorry when I was done that I didn't have a bit more.
  2. Good cookies. Nice choice to have with some decaf as my dessert.
  3. Good bottle of Pinot Noir for $40. Not stellar, but very drinkable. The A-Z Pinot Noir, from Oregon.

Things I was not wowed by:
  1. The waiter wasn't so sing-song, but he was a bit smarmy. Not badly so, but it brought out a bit of snark at the table from time to time.

Boka wasn't hugely busy last night either. Odd, I thought. Ah well.

Tomorrow night it's back to Cafe Spiaggia. I will be glad to have the gnocchi again, I do think....

No comments: