Monday, September 18, 2006

Ribs (catching up on older news and photos)


First of a couple of posts - since e-mail is all fouled up STILL (I shall refrain from commenting on the quality of the university's IT department!) I have time enough to post some lingering things.

First up, and more recent, dinner last Friday. Our friend Bradley came over - it's been a good half-year (well, not so good given all that he and we have been through in our past months) since last we saw him, so it was a treat catching up. I got home early from work and put together some back ribs. Mmmmmm. Ribs. Yum. Rather than a typical vinegar or tomato barbecue sauce (and please: no southerners or St. Louisians or Kansas Cityites telling me what proper barbecue is!), I started out with a "splash" from the book the NBF sent. Sadly, it tasted rather like a sharpy, lemony salad dressing, and as I had two salads as the side dishes, I modified the splash with a big whack of honey. Hmmm, maybe I wasn't that far off a vinegar sauce, then. No matter, the ribs were darn tasty, a bit sticky, and the meat was sliding off the bone nicely.

We killed two bottles of wine over cheese and crackers and tapenade then dinner. We polished it all off with the fregolata I had baked the night before, accompanied by cheese, chocolate, and a sweet black plum. And more wine!

:-)

1 comment:

the ginger tabby said...

Hmmm...haven't had ribs in a while...you've given me a good idea! :)