Thursday, February 18, 2010

everyone loves a Mountie!

I think every American in the throngs outside curling yesterday must have had shaky knees and swooned at the sight of Mounties in red serge. I know Conrad didn't mind going up to get a photo with them.



;-)

In fact, this calls to mind something very small that I am loving about this Olympics experience: the tiny interactions with people. Volunteers are super friendly and helpful. A smile and a thank you are the currency of this land, and they go far. Before Conrad went up to the Mounties yesterday, a couple from China (perhaps?) who didn't speak much English asked him to take their photo. Of course, we were delighted to (and the Mounties were all smiles and graciousness with the many wanting photos, I should add). Then, when Conrad went up for his photo, the man whose photo he'd taken asked me for my camera and indicated I should go get in the picture, too. It hadn't even occurred to me, but I was pretty tickled.

I guess the Americans weren't the only ones a little weak in the knees!

No comments: