1. My sister.
Hostess to many MKs over the course of the weekend (and an MK herself, oddly). Shopping companion. Dining mate. Hockey connoisseur. I don't think I show her enough appreciation.2. Other family - a nice lunch of dim sum with my brother Carlos.
I'm sorry Mark couldn't make it. I'm sorry we didn't get up the coast. I apologize a lot for something that was a good time, I know. Sorry.3. Chris.
Read his blog already! Also, he'll kill me, but I will set him up with anyone who meets my exacting standards for awesome enough to be his match.
4. Brian and Giuseppe. We love these guys no end, and we're glad we get Chicago and Vancouver time with them. Bonus points to Brian
for his past Olympics experiences to share with us. Bonus points to Giuseppe
for introducing me to Dan Mangan's stuff and then for being so adorkably tongue tied around the man.5. Dan Mangan.

OK, I wasn't wild about the woman who was on before him (OK, I was so unenthralled as to sit reading the Globe and Mail - a TORONTO newspaper, for crying out loud! - on my iPhone while I prayed for her to be done her set), but the man put on an awesome show. Among many wonderful moments, I loved that he halted "Pine for Cedars" to tell us how, when he was touring Australia, he had to explain the lyric about winning a home in a hospital lottery. So BC. Love him.
6. This sweater on me.
I never said I wasn't shallow.7. This scarf on me.
In fact, I'm very very shallow.8. Coffee at Safari.
If I can't have a flat white, then this will do nicely, though I realize I forgot to go to the place Janet recommended. In May, when we return.9. Seeing Canada's first gold medal on home soil - EVER! - draped around Alexandre Bilodeau's neck, and having tears running down my cheeks during O Canada.

10. Getting to dress in Swedish drag and be a Svenska fan for one hockey game.

11. The First Nations presence around the Games (photo from the Coast Salish carvers in a house at the Art Gallery).
Wonderful, special. I've commented already. Conrad and I ended up buying a print from the Edzerza Gallery to keep in our Vancouver home.
I'm stunned that Alano Edzerza designed the really cool Netherlands uniforms. Wow.12. Curling. Never really played it, still love it. How can you not love a sport that opens sessions with a round of bagpipes?
13. The houses and pavilions. Best by far was Canada's Northern House, but I think I actually liked Maison du Quebec most for its entertainment and proximity, its' blue glow at night.

14. Vancouver in the spring sunshine.
Yes, it was spring. Yes, I am still bitter about being back in wintry Chicago.15. Sharing in it all with this man.
My Valentine the night of the photo, but so much more, and every single day. Thanks SB!Honourable mention (no photo): meeting Mark and Maureen, even fleetingly. Marie may be the one hosting people, but I felt more than a little pleased at having been able to lend our condo for one night to the brother and sister-in-law of a good friend. I hope they enjoyed their Olympics experience and greatly!
1 comment:
Now that I'm no longer on Facebook, Peter, I'll be popping in a lot more to see what's going on at your end :)
I'm jealous that you got to see Bilodeau's award ceremony - amazing!
Post a Comment