Monday, February 15, 2010

host nations

There are some things I steadfastly refuse to say the American way. The last letter of the alphabet is "zed", freezing is 0 degrees (Celsius, of course!), and the structure where you leave your car while parking is a "parkade".

I also tend seldom to use the word "Indian" unless I mean someone/thing from India. For some time now in Canada, "First Nations" has been the term in use, and I think it captures certain essences well. First Nations were here before the English and French and others. And they were and are nations with marvelous cultural traditions, systems of governance, language, trade, and more.

Did I always feel this way? No. As a young person in northern BC, I didn't always have the most understanding attitude. And I'm not so sure I have the broadest, best appreciation for the First Nations now - I sometimes wonder if I reduce them to creators and purveyors of gorgeous works of art.

Vancouver (and Canada) did some things very right with these Games, and the involvement of the First Nations has been one major thing. Oh, there were missteps with some merchandise, I know, and I suspect not all BC and Canadian First Nations have been so supportive. I can't and won't address the complex issues in this blog post. Let me just laud some of the good for now, and let me start with the Four Host First Nations.

In a nutshell, the events are taking place on land claimed by four different First Nations, and out of respect for that, the four nations are involved as host nations. Their leaders are being treated as dignitaries of the highest order, their art and artisans is being showcased, and I can only hope that there will be economic benefits that reach all members of the nations. The four nations were a prominent part of the opening ceremonies - and you can make penis jokes all you want, but the welcoming figures, the projected images/motifs, the dancers, and the participation by and support from other First Nations was one thing that impressed the heck out of me early on.

Still, there is evidence of involvement permeating the Games in many ways: the merchandise, the pavilions, faces seen around. Again, this isn't solving deeper social issues, but it is perhaps a good step made in good faith.

Some images for you, then, that show ways in which the First Nations, the host nations, share in these Games with all who have come to celebrate them:

From the Canada's Northern House (our favourite so far by a long shot), there were magnificent works of art such as, in a tall case,
a granite sculpture of a hunter and a polar bear facing off over a seal; a carved narwhal tusk showing scenes of the hunt;
that beaded blanket blazing on the wall;
masks;

smaller sculptures, crafts, and artwork. There were also northern people demonstrating some of the sports and games that have developed among their nations.

We stood a long while in line outside the 2010 Aboriginal Pavilion - immensely popular on a sunny Sunday - before ultimately deciding to dash through the gift shop and keep going so as to take a lot in.



I am keen to go back, though.

At BC Hydro, there are two welcome figures carved by a Hydro staff member, as I understand it. Yellow cedar? Tall, imposing, but such a wonderful sight. Welcoming indeed.

Design and motif in many places, like the Taiwanese-Canadian collaboration on lanterns and art on Granville Street. Of course, there is merchandise, too, and we are shopping. Non-Games specific, the First Nations art collection at Vancouver International Airport is stunning.




Again, this isn't solving deep issues within the Nations themselves or between each nation and the government of Canada. I'm not so naive as to think that. I simply appreciate all that I see of the First Nations presence, and am grateful that peoples with so much to give to the Games have had that opportunity.

No comments: