Two days ago (gosh, TWO days ago - this vacation went so darn fast!), Conrad and I were wandering around with Brian, mostly on Granville Island. We walked the perimeter (more or less),






stopped in at art installations,
watched some singing and dancing,
shopped and posed in Railspur Alley,
stood in lines.
All of this was quite fun, truly, especially given the sunny weather. Ah, glorious sun in Vancouver.The highlight, hands down, was the raclette. The Swiss have taken over Bridges Restaurant (which is kind of where I envision my wedding rehearsal dinner one day taking place), and while the line to get in was a good 30 minutes long (a paltry wait by the standards of many of the popular venues and pavilions at these Games), we noticed that there was almost no one in line for some food stations right around the corner. Well, ok.
$8 got us either raclette or bratwurst. Oh come on, I live in the Midwest - I can get bratwurst all the time.
Raclette? Melted cheese all crusty from the broiling? yes please. Within minutes we had food.
My sister was once married to a man with Swiss roots, so raclette is not new to her. I have heard her mention it many times. I had no idea this was what it was. This enormous hunk of cheese gets shoved under a broiler. The gooey part and crust then gets shaved onto rye bread before the cheese goes back under the heat for the next person.





Awesome! Fun to watch, fast, and oh so tasty. We sat in the sunshine near a group of singing Swiss
and munched away contentedly.
And then, of course, off to get some beer!
5 comments:
Actually,
my cousin has been makig raclette
for quite a while now (in Québec);
and, along with the cheese, she also
has a meat variety. I guess a bit
like the fondue habit. Little pieces of crusty bread, the cheese and very thin slivers of filet mignon,
or whatever.
Louise
These photos are so interesting and look so professional. Wish I was there!
And I completely agree with your opening statement... so true for me as well.
Cheese Goddess, thanks. A real treat, and so lovely to sit outside in the cool early spring and enjoy it.
Jeph, Brett would actually eat something????
;-)
Louise, how fun. We should have done that back home some time.
that bread and cheese looks gooooooood
Post a Comment