Thursday, February 18, 2010

hockey

My sister Marie gave me and Conrad a very generous gift two Christmases ago: tickets to go with her to see an Olympic hockey game.

OK, I'll pander a moment to stereotypes: I don't follow hockey (or football, or baseball) much. Fleetingly - enough to have some conversation about rankings or standings. So yes, let's make jokes about the gays not following sports for a quick moment.

Got that out of your system?

Good. Now re-set. I do like sports, a great deal. Hockey, though, eludes me. I never played it as a child (I barely skated at all - non-frozen water is my medium). I don't know the rules. It always looks to me like a bunch of people skating randomly with no set plays, no strategy. Chaos and chance. It alternately bores me and bugs me because of those aspects.

Heresy from a Canadian, right? Hey, at least I can get a grasp on curling!

Still, live events are always different than watching them on television, I like spending time with my sister when we're here in Vancouver, and as it turned out, she had picked up some pretty good seats.

Two other things:
  • Conrad had never been to a hockey game - I've seen NHL games in a few cities myself.
  • The Swedes were playing, and so we knew who we were rooting for. In fact, because two star Swedish players are also Canucks, it was like a home game for the Swedes against Germany. And, certainly there were German flags and face painting in the arena, but the yellow and blue of Sweden was oh-so-visible.




Conrad and I left curling (more on that in another post) early to get to the game. Loads of people being funneled through check points, but it all kept flowing, and in short order, we were with Marie and her friend Gavin. Regalia on, a light snack (no beer for us, but Marie enjoyed her own cup, and we stole some of her pretzel later).

And then the game.














You know what? It wasn't a great game. That sounds ungracious, but I think that Marie and others might agree. The teams were tight in the first period. Sweden scored the only two goals in the second. In the third, Germany got aggressive, but to no avail.

It still looked a little chaotic out on the ice to me. Oh, and I wish the Kiss Cam operators would realize two things:

  • not all men and women sitting together are romantically involved
  • those two guys or two women sitting together might be romantically involved and might want to show it

Getting back off my soapbox, I have to say that was a good capper for our Olympic events. Our team won. We had great seats. We have the photos and memories.

Thanks Marie!

No comments: