It’s Thursday morning and raining still. We did get a break last night around dinner time, which was nice for the short walk. But otherwise? It’s been basically 40 or more hours of heavy and light rain. That drove us into museums yesterday.
The Museo Civico Medievale is basically next door to our hotel, so that was an easy one to get to. And it sounded cool. And parts of it were, truly. The collection was founded on a private collection from centuries ago, and so there is some stuff in there that may be medieval but doesn’t reflect Bologna or even Italy. Fair enough, I guess, but it was odd to see a room dedicated to East Asian items that the man had collected in among everything else. Stranger still were the Mexican items, especially without much context given regarding colonialism. But there were other treasures that were more local in nature and pointed to glories of a city that once was.
For my part, I was keen to see the illuminated manuscripts. I always am. There were several on display in a room, and I took my time with them. Lovely.
I am honestly not certain I would recommend the museum to Bologna visitors, but maybe? No matter. Cool stuff to see in among stuff that made no sense to me or I had no interest in. But ah, those books…











No comments:
Post a Comment