Brace yourselves, friends: there will be many recap posts to come. Many. Well, until I both run out of endurance and have to move on to other blog topics! But many. And although I am starting with the start of the trip, I will certainly feel free to pop all over the place in my blogging depending on mood and energy. So, ready to go on a deeper dive into the recent vacation?
We headed to LAX early in the morning on September 10.
18 days ago - wow! It was before the Polaris Lounge opened, but we were through the doors as soon as it did, appreciating how quiet it was.
Eventually it was aboard our first flight,
to Newark. Some airplane breakfast in our bellies,
then some napping all around.
We had time in the lounge in Newark, and I showered and changed, freshening up for the overnight flight to Naples. We headed to the gate,
then boarded and got our pod seats.
Dinner was served,
but you know I availed myself of some champagne first!
Lights out, and I think I managed something like 2-4 hours of sleep.
I had a window seat for the flight overseas, and that meant that when I woke up, I was able to peek out and get my first glimpse of Italy on this trip, the mountainous northwest of the country.
We continued down past the coast
and then over the middle of the country, affording me views of lakes and mountains and towns and even the Adriatic coast.
Lovely to watch and try to figure out on Google Maps.
We landed, more or less on time. We deplaned not via a jetbridge but down stairs
and headed to a bus that would take us over to the terminal. Luggage, customs, and then on to meet a driver who hustled us by car to the port
for us to catch a ferry over to Ischia.
That crossing was a pleasant one, an hour and a half or so. Another driver met us on Ischia and took us through the town and across the causeway, depositing us at the foot of the castle complex. We walked through a tunnel
to an elevator, headed up, and emerged just below a plaza where we caught a closer look at our fantastic first hotel, Il Monastero.
It wasn't long after that that we were checked in and unpacking, settling in to enjoy the first leg of what was a very good trip indeed!
























No comments:
Post a Comment