Sunday, July 25, 2010

2:34:51

I admit, I got more than a little caught up in the whole birthday celebration thing, and, as a result, I have neglected some other things in my life. Like this blog, and like mentioning things other than my birthday on this blog.

So let's fix that and talk instead of how I am a national bronze medalist.

:-)

Two summers ago I was part of a national championship open water swim team, successfully completing my 5km leg of a 25km relay team. The setting was a reservoir outside of Indianapolis, near Noblesville, and was it ever a great swim. Last month I went back for another swim, a longer swim. No team, all alone.

Fun!

No, I wasn't exactly alone. For starters, the handsome, wonderful supportive Conrad was my very able and willing biggest fan. Not much for him to see while I was swimming, mind, you, and I'm glad that he went off in search of breakfast.

Also, Ruth (from Smelts) and Marcia (who was a teammate in 2008) were there to swim, as was Ruth's friend (and former Smelt) John. I wish more of my teammates had made it to Indiana this summer - I'm talking about you, Tim! - but ah well.

Conrad and I drove down after lunch on the Friday and made it in time for me to get inked (which needed re-application the next day - apparently sunscreen will remove Magic Marker) and for the pre-race meeting. Butterflies were settling in a little, but only a little. Heck, it's just a swim, right?

To the hotel, check in, dinner with the handsome Greg, then to bed. Up early and dawn at the race site. Warm up.







And then, ladies and gentlemen and everyone else, we were off in waves. I was in the first wave, the faster wave, and I soon settled into a rhythm. An hour and a bit later (around 1:13), I passed through the timing area at the completion of my first loop. Back out again.

The second loop started well enough. Yep, tired, but not worn down. Sore, definitely. I had banged my right forearm on a car sideview mirror in the restaurant parking lot the night before, and it was beginning to throb. By the end of the race, it was screamingly painful.

I was also not bilateral breathing like I thought I should. The vagaries of where the sun was at the outset kind of set me on single-side breathing out my strong side (my left), and I kept that up throughout. It worked for me, in the end, but I do wonder how the race would have turned out differently.

And Ruth, I know, is horrified that I didn't take water or nourishment during the race. Worse, I had a glass of wine the night before!

And then, you round that last little curve, and the end is there. SPRINT! Or something like that. Conrad there on shore to meet me. Done!





In the end, though: 2:34:51. Really, that's quite good, I think. I was pleased with my time, and when I saw my placing, all the happier. 22nd overall, 3rd in my age group. Yes, you can tell people you know a US Masters 10km Open Water Swimming Championships bronze medalist.

;-)

And then it was time to rest, refuel, cheer for Marcia, Ruth, and John as I saw them come in. Text TK. And eat. Oh man, did I eat. I feel like I've been eating non-stop since!

I don't often compete, and I don't take it too seriously when I do. I know there's a lot of people out there who can kick my butt in swimming (and running) - heck, I used to coach 9 year old girls who were faster. I have no illusions. Still, I did well. I know I did. And I had fun, truly. 2+ hours of swimming is remarkably meditative, and that time to expend energy and just be alone with my thoughts was pretty precious, I have to say.

2012, perhaps?

(More photos on Flickr!)

No comments: