Monday, July 05, 2010

TK/Baltimore

Monday evening, but no coaching, so it feels like Sunday. Back to work tomorrow for a shorter week, and then, come Saturday, Todd arrives.

This, then, is the first of two promised raves about my conference roomies. TK, my best friend.



Oh, gosh, no worries. I think Dale (if ever he reads these) would retch if all I did was list off all the reasons that make Todd an incredible best friend. And I should hate to have to do that to the Silver Fox even if a slightly wicked side of me thinks it would be a bit funny. Instead, let me simply relate how very good it was to get caught up with TK after not seeing him for a few months. Better still, an overnight with him and his partner Michael in Baltimore on my way home from DC.

Things I do like about Todd include his humour, which extends to jokingly coordinating outfits at the RT social in DC. He's also one of the few people who can really tease me effectively and cleverly about my Canadiannness without resorting to that old chestnut "What's that all aboot, eh?" (Want to get on my bad list? Try that one on me some time)

But there are other things. Good conversation over dinner at Clementine (Taco Tuesday!)

and breakfast at Blue Moon Cafe (Captain Crunch coated French toast - mmmmmm).

Walking with Coney and Buster (who will merit their own entry), chatting together with Michael about the wedding planning ahead. Or - and here were some unexpected treats - bringing me along to the YALSA session with teens talking about best fiction titles and the Natalie Merchant performance (ah, that that could have gone on for another hour...). And then there were all his coworkers coming up to me and asking me if I was the one who made cookies...


So a mild rave about Todd - I hate to embarrass him too much with too many compliments (and rest assured, TK, our roomie has an upcoming blog entry, too!). Two last things to mention (short list):

  1. Conrad likes him, and when Conrad likes someone, then I KNOW that person is a good person.
  2. He'll be up there, with me, my best woman, and my sister, at the wedding (that I now can talk about openly), and that means the world.

It was only a short visit to Baltimore - I was on the way home from conference after all. This weekend will be another whirlwind here in Chicago, and then Conrad and I will have to wait a few months until we get to visit TK and Michael in their home. Already? To borrow from NuShooz: I can't wait.

No comments: