Thursday, July 08, 2010

weakness

I love food.

No, not a surprise, is it. Nor should it be a surprise that I have a reputation as a food snob. Pricey mushrooms, name brand chocolate. People have me tagged.

So. Bloody. Unfair.

Let me start by saying that I am a VERY good dinner guest. I recall years ago someone I already didn't care for terribly much joking that you could always tell where I sat at dinner parties because it would be near a large potted plant, and remnants of my dinner that I couldn't stomach would have been hidden there. Hmmmm... nope, still don't like him years later.

Anyway, I have my weaknesses. Not that I'll reveal them ALL, but they are there. And so, in DC, I indulged one: fast food burgers and fries. Mmmmm... fries. Crispy, soft on the inside, hot, salty. Oh so good!

I met up with Dan for lunch one day at the recent conference. Limited time and, on the weekend, limited good options nearby. Almost by chance, though, we came upon a Five Guys outlet.

I know we have them in Chicago, but I've never been. Hey, I have food snob cred to keep up - I almost never go get fast food beyond Subway, Sbarro, or burritos in the student centre at lunch. This was my maiden expedition, and Dan offered good advice on ordering.

Ultimately, though, it was a good burger and an embarrassment of fries. A small order, in the cup, then more shoveled into the bag. No, please, don't stop. Heaven!

No dessert - gilding the lily if there were. Just a full belly and... hmmmm... did I go nap afterward? I can't recall.

No comments: