Thursday, July 15, 2010

meals with friends in DC

Oh gosh, I am behind, aren't I? Shame on me! Ah well - a quiet evening here. Sipping some Torrontes, blogging while awaiting Conrad's return from his latest Honolulu work trip. Let's catch up.

My first night in DC for conference I barely had time to say hello to Martin in the room before he was out the door and I soon followed. Non-conference folk. Swimmers, in fact. Dinner with a few former teammates and spouses. How did so many Smelts end up in DC?

We ate at Againn. Interesting place: a seafood/British pub theme going. I wanted to like it a lot, especially given all the promising items on the menu. Some small problems:

  • the ammonia stink of the raw bar near the entry. I was glad we got a table far from it.
  • the waiter or the bartender or both didn't understand drinks. David wanted a SWEET cocktail. Both attempts weren't. I asked for a fairly common British beverage on a warm summer night, lager and lime. They didn't know how to handle that one either even with my explanation when the waiter came back to the table.

Not bad food, though, if not really great. I liked but didn't LOVE my pork belly, and the radishes, while fine, were not a $7 dish. Ah well.

It's all about the company, though, and it was great to see Geoff
again after our terrific spring visit, see Cheryl and Dave not long after their visit to Chicago, and see David (and meet his partner Scott) after a number of years. I'll be glad to visit DC again (not Againn), swim with the team, and get caught up with these friends over food and beverage.

The next night it was Ethiopian food in Adams-Morgan with CG and her colleague Terry, and with TK in tow and meeting them for the first time. Wow, filling dinner. Meskerem was where we ate, and judging by how packed it got, it's a popular choice. CG and Terry opted for red meat while TK and I shared the vegetarian sampler for two, all of it with copious bread. He and I came home and moaned on to Martin about having injera belly. Well worth it, though. And the walk back to the hotel? Not short, but certainly a smart idea, especially given that we stopped for ice cream, too!

No comments: