Tuesday, July 06, 2010

8 years of Annual together

Ah Martin...

:-)

In the last post, I raved about Todd. Best friend, roommate at conferences, groomsman to be. In this one, I rave - again, as promised - about a roomie. Martin. 8 Annual conferences together (and 8 Midwinters, plus weekends in Denver, Santa Fe, and Chicago). He deserves a bit of praise. More than that.

Martin and I met back in New Orleans in 2002. So very long ago now, and yet we can still pull up memories (and in-jokes) from back then. We've enjoyed many shared hilarious episodes - the Carlos and Noble dinner comes to mind, but also the Beard Toucher incident in TO and others.

Martin is, however, not just a fun roomie (who also coordinates outfits with us - yay!!!).
He is someone I respect to the utmost professionally. ALA members, vote for him if/when you can for anything. He is more than worthy, and I say that without hesitation.

Conrad and I were happy to be in attendance when Martin and Mark had their commitment ceremony a few years back. We'll gladly steal a few ideas and, in fact, steal Martin outright: he will be our MC at the reception, and we KNOW that will make for a lively, engaging, and fun evening for all.

(Side note: wow, I'm being heavily sentimental lately, I know. Two milestones ahead within days of each other: 40th birthday and 10th anniversary of moving to the US/Chicago. Indulge me a little if you will.)

It was another enjoyable time in DC, then. Good meals out (I was most happy with Zaytinya for the food,

but loved all the time we shared and was especially pleased to be at that dinner in the gorgeous Folger Library), some shopping at H&M, gossiping about ALA members until late at night. The stuff that conferences are made of. Thanks Martin for this 8th great year. Many more to come!

No comments: