Prior to this past Sunday, I had been up to Canada once - only once - since the end of 2019. I have now doubled that number. Yes, two whole visits to the homeland in 3.5 years. It's just so odd for me to realize that.
Conrad and I, as long time (ha!) readers of this blog may know, have owned a condo in Vancouver since 2007.
We used it as a second home, a vacation retreat for a number of years, but in 2019, we were forced to rent it out to long-term tenants or else be liable for the empty homes tax. For almost 4 years now, we have not used the condo ourselves, and after all this time, we decided we no longer wanted to hold onto it. Accordingly, we recently began working with a realtor up there, and this past weekend we met her in person at the condo. The sale will move forward.
That was the reason for this most recent visit: business. Oh, we squeezed in other things as well. But we kept ourselves to 36 hours up there, that's all. I have work obligations, and the hotel room rates are TERRIBLE. Cruise ship season, right?
We flew in on Sunday afternoon and got ourselves settled into the hotel. A little spartan, perhaps, but nice enough.
Conveniently located downtown, so we appreciated that.
After unpacking and refreshing, we met our friends Steven and Jenny for dinner. I didn't photograph the food, no - it was almost secondary to us enjoying catching up with them after so long without seeing them. After the dinner, we went out walking past the Pan Pacific and Canada Place and on down into Coal Harbour,
getting some gelato, admiring the views as the sun went down.
So good seeing them again.
Conrad had a Monday meeting, so I set out on foot toward Stanley Park,
delighting in a fine summer morning before it was time to get to our meetings related to the condo sale. Ah, the condo. First time in almost four years seeing it, and it breaks my heart a little. It's not our home, it's the tenants' home, but I wish we could reclaim it and spruce it back up and use it again. Alas.
Conrad and I fit in a short swim after that, then met Marie for a drink at the club before the three of us headed to Chambar to meet Chris and Allister for dinner.
I had only ever been to Chambar once, and I recall not being that into it (it was a brunch, it was ok). I really liked our dinner, though. We were able to have a nice chat with the bartender before heading to our table, and he gave us some insights into the gins. That shaped my ordering, and I had a Rolling Tide (a seashore-forward martini garnished with nori)
and then a cocktail he made using the salal-infused gin.
We shared charcuterie,
I had a bit tub of mussels with fries (and we had some thick, toasted slices of sourdough, too),
and then I ordered the cheeses
for dessert simply because I knew Conrad wanted someone to share them with him. I was already full. I wanted Marie's pavlova instead.
No matter. We dined plenty well, believe me!
Conrad and I got out on foot again on the Tuesday morning - we had plenty of time before our departure. We also had another short swim, and oh man oh man, my muscles hate me for not swimming more often. Packing, airport, delay, home.
36-ish hours visiting Vancouver. We'll next be up that way for Labour Day weekend. I can't wait.















No comments:
Post a Comment