Tuesday, July 11, 2023

and while I'm talking about the food in Glasgow...

I don't think I dined especially well in Glasgow, but I didn't dine badly either.  Mornings were at Starbucks for a decaf latte (of course) and a light bite.  I had the haggis I've already mentioned.  The first night there, I was on my own, and unsure of what was nearby.  A search on OpenTable, and I came up with the bar at a hotel restaurant:  iasg bar at the Kimpton Blythswood.

If only I had realized that the short walk to it was all uphill, and not an especially gentle hill!

I didn't want much, I didn't need much.  I'd had an overnight flight to Scotland and then a bus ride to Glasgow and then a walk through an unfamiliar downtown to find my hotel and NO nap, which is the most shocking part, I think.  I wasn't feeling super hungry, and I didn't feel like I had the appetite or the outfit for tackling a nice dining room and multiple courses.  A bar menu suited me fine.

At least one review of the place had said that the cocktails were good but the bar was slow, and that was my experience.  After I said I needed a few minutes to look at the menu and decide, it was considerable time before I caught the attention of the server and was able to order.  And then I waited for my martini, made with an Isle of Bute oyster (yes, oyster) gin. 


And waited.  And finally it came, perhaps 30 seconds before the food was set down in front of me.  I wish I had had a bit more time to sip before eating, but ah well.  The martini was fine.  The salmon and prawn burger was pretty good.  The accompanying fries were piping hot, crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle, and nicely salted. 

I was satisfied.

Just the same, though, I didn't have the patience to wait for another martini, taking myself back to my own hotel and stopping in the bar for a very sweet cocktail that they called a Clover Club but I might beg to differ.  It was fine enough, I guess.

And by 9:15, it was lights out for me!

No comments: