It feels as though I've been dining out a lot lately, what with travel here and there (and more to come this week) and the like. It was good, then, to spend my Sunday in the kitchen. Not toiling away, sweating and swearing, but moving through the planning and preparation of a dinner at a nice pace.
Conrad and I had invited our next door neighbour, Erik, over. It had been some weeks since we'd caught up with him, and we thought it would be nice to hear how his summer was going. He shower up at 6:30 with a gift of Norwegian gin in hand, we poured him a cocktail, and from there dinner played out.
Up first: burrata served with tomato and nectarine slices, some fresh basil, and a light sherry vinegar and garlic dressing. Sweet and tangy and creamy and herbacious. I thought it was a nice start.
The main course: rack of lamb that I served as double chops to each of us atop some eggplant and green pea curry (needed more salt and cayenne) along with some rice and an apple and golden raisin chutney. It was fine, not quite reaching what I was going for. But fine enough.
Dessert: olive oil cake with roasted strawberry and nectarine sherbet, nectarine macerated with mint, and a piece of almond praline. The cake was a little dry, alas, but otherwise, it was all good.
Final grade? A solid B, maybe a B+. I'm hard on myself, I know, but I have made this food better. Nonetheless, we had a nice evening with Erik, enjoying some good wines and the dinner.



No comments:
Post a Comment